SPC11 ended this afternoon - and wow, what a week! The conference was a whirlwind between intense sessions, networking, after hours events, and more networking. Here's a brief recap of some common themes as they related to my attendance, as well as some interesting announcements and news from the field via twitter.
Common Themes ...in my world at least
- Up in the clouds
- Much of the conference buzz revolved around O365, SharePoint online, and Windows Azure. Sessions ranged from basic overview of cloud functionality to in depth analysis around developing in the cloud and integration with Azure.
- Getting social
- "Social" in SharePoint can mean a lot of different things. I attended sessions around improving the social (and collaborative!) experience within SharePoint, integrating social networking sites like FaceBook and Twitter into SharePoint, and even using data from FaceBook, Twitter, and the like to inform search results based on user context. Awesome, right? But getting social in SharePoint is more than just networking, there's a lot to think about from a change management and governance perspective.
- Search sessions, particularly around FAST ran rampant through the conference. Topics covered the typical realm of configuration and implementation as well as refining and enhancing the search experience; but it also touched on impacts of search with taxonomy, collaboration, and social.
- Governance can mean a lot of things and best practices were covered them from all angles: performance, farm, deployments, SharePoint Designer, security, records and disposition, automation and enforcement of governance policies, in the cloud, and more.
- BCS is coming to the cloud
- New SharePoint certification is now available - Microsoft Certified Architect
- Rumblings of SharePoint 15
- SharePoint Conference 2012 Save the Date: November 12-15 in Las Vegas
On the Ground Scoop ...Twitter at it's best
- Twitter was a buzz throughout the conference connecting and engaging attendees, pushing content about sessions for users not at the conference (or just not in that session), and connecting after hours. It was quite the spectacle.
- An interesting summary report as of the end of the conference:
- ...screenshot taken 10/6/11 @ 4pm Pacific
- ...and yeah, that's us in the number 2 slot (word.)
- View the complete report
- Want in on the buzz? Check out the following for my tweet broadcasts while on the ground at SPC11
- Oranges, Rocket Ships and Six Pack Abs - What your SharePoint Corporate Portal is Lacking - SPC263
- How Gaming Giant, EA Drove Culture Change with SharePoint 2010 - SPC104
- Clearing away the Clouds: What’s Hype and What’s Real in Cloud Adoption, Today and Tomorrow - SPC209
- SharePoint 2010: Improving Productivity with Social - SPC271
- Architecting and Automating SharePoint Governance - SPC224
- How We Built Community Site NothingButSharepoint.com - SPC103
- Make Your Search Social with FAST Search! - SPC243
- Best Practices from the Field: Managing Corporate Metadata and Taxonomies with SharePoint 2010 - SPC203
- Avanade: Unleashing Competitive Advantage through the use of Social Media and Collective Organizational Intelligence - SPC287
- Integrating Social Networking Sites with a SharePoint Internet Site - SPC360
- Out of the Sandbox and into the cloud: Build your next SharePoint app on Azure - SPC410r
- Content Query WebPart: A Deep Dive on SharePoint's Swiss Army Knife WebPart - SPC329
- Building Language-Based SharePoint Internet Sites Using Variations - SPC362
- Taxonomy Based Content Targeting for a SharePoint Internet Site - SPC394
- Packaging SharePoint Branding Elements for Deployment - SPC372
Thanks to everyone in attendance for making it a great week!